This test lasts for 1 hour and consists of an eyesight test, a range of safety questions and then driving technique tests. In order to pass, you need to pass every section and you will have three chances of passing the driving ability test.
To pass the eyesight test, you need to be able to read a licence plate at a distance of 26.5m. You will then be asked how to carry out a safety check on 3 separate components of a car and then you will need to physically carry out 2 checks of parts of the car. The components will be chosen from the following list: tyres, steering, brakes, lights, reflectors, direction indicators, audible warning device and the liquids used in the braking system, steering system, engine or elsewhere in the vehicle as a coolant, lubricant, cleaner or otherwise. As you would expect, the driving ability technique section is for advanced drivers and you will need to show a high level of skill and competence.
You will need to show the following skills:
- Expert handling of the controls
- Use of correct road procedure
- Anticipation of the actions of other road users and the taking of appropriate action
- Sound judgement of distance, speed and timing
- Consideration for the convenience and safety of other road users
The following procedures may form part of your test:
- Emergency stop
- Reversing around left/right hand corner
- Turn in the road
- Reverse parking (bay or parallel)
As this part of the course is practical, the vast majority of your training will be in a car with your dedicated instructor trainer and you will be able to use a training vehicle to practice by yourself.